The school district’s superintendent said Saturday that a third party would investigate incidents at Michigan’s Oxford High School ahead of a school shooting this week that killed four students and injured six others and a teacher.
The Oxford Community School superintendent, Tim Throne, said he called for an external investigation because parents have asked questions about “the school’s version of the events leading up to the shooting”.
He also elaborated on the conversation he had with the student leading up to the shooting.
“It is critically important for victims, our employees and our entire community to have a complete and transparent accounting,” Throne said.
His remarks came after a news conference Friday by Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald accused of shootings, including a search of gun ammunition on a cellphone and a picture showing a bullet with the words “blood everywhere” above. Detailed warning signs were received from the student. A man who appears to have been shot with “my life sucks” and “the world is dead”.
On Tuesday at a school about 30 miles north of Detroit, the student was sent back to class after meeting with his parents. Three hours later the firing took place.
“The school should have been responsible for relaying that to the sheriff’s office. It seems like it could have been prevented,” said Robert Jordan, founder and director of St. Louis-based Protecting Our Students. “People died because of those mistakes ”
Parents of students killed in a 2018 school shooting in Florida said police should have been alerted to the shootings in Michigan.
15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, a suspect in the Oxford High shooting, has been charged as an adult with murder, terrorism and other crimes.
On Friday, prosecutors charged her parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. He pleaded not guilty on Saturday and a judge imposed a combined $1m bond.
The 9mm semi-automatic pistol used in the shooting was bought by James Crumbley on Black Friday as a Christmas gift for his son, officials said.
McDonald’s told reporters that school officials became concerned about the little Crumble on Monday after a teacher saw him searching for ammunition on his phone.
On Tuesday, a teacher found a note on Ethan’s desk and took a picture. It was a picture of a gun pointing to the words, “Thoughts will not stop. Help me,” McDonald said.
There was also a picture of a bullet, he said, with the words above it: “Blood everywhere.” He said that between the gun and the bullet was a man who was shot twice and is bleeding. “My life sucks” and “The world is dead” were also written.
Ethan Crumbley and his parents met with school officials at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. His parents left and Ethan went back to his classes with his backpack, where investigators believe he had kept the gun. Officers were not informed, something that County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said he wished would have been done.
By 1 pm, there was a hail of bullets, chaos and bloodshed in the school.
“The school had a responsibility to assess the immediate threat posed to the student and bring the sworn police officer and law enforcement into that conversation,” said Lori Alhadeff, whose 14-year-old daughter Alyssa was one of 17 students. Marjorie Stoneman at Douglas High in Parkland, Florida in 2018.
About five weeks before the Stoneman Douglas shooting, an FBI tip line received a call stating that former student Nicolas Cruz had bought guns and planned to “slip into a school and start shooting on the spot”.
That information was never forwarded to the FBI. Cruz, who had been expelled a year earlier and had a long history of emotional and behavioral problems, was never contacted.
Now 23, Cruz pleaded guilty to 17 counts of first-degree murder in October.
“We have to take these threats seriously,” Alhadeff said.
But looking at such an issue after the fact raises other questions, said Christopher Smith, a professor of law and public policy at Michigan State University and president of the Michigan Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.
You have to consider whether “teachers and school officials specifically say in their training that you need to report all these things”, he said.
In a video message to the community on Thursday night, Throne acknowledged the meeting of Crumble, parents and school officials, and said there was “no discipline”.
In his statement on Saturday, Throne said the student was taken to a guidance counselor’s office where he claimed the drawing was part of a video game he was designing and that he wanted to pursue video game design as a career. had planned. He worked on homework while waiting for his parents as mentors watched him.
“At no time did the counselors believe that the student could harm others based on their behavior, reactions, and behavior, which appeared calm,” Throne said.
“While both his parents were present, the counselor asked specific investigative questions about the possibility of self-harm or harm to others,” Throne said, adding that counseling was recommended and his parents were informed. Was told they had 48 hours to pick it up.
“When the parents were asked to take their son home for the day, they categorically refused and left without their son, apparently to return to work.”
He said the student had no prior disciplinary violations, so he was allowed to return to class rather than “send home to an empty house”.