Third Sandy hook parent wins defamation case against Alex Jones

- Advertisement -


The third parent of a slain Sandy Hook child has won a defamation lawsuit against American conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who faked the 2012 fatal shooting at an elementary school.

- Advertisement -

Neil Heslin will join two other parents – Scarlett Lewis and Lenny Posner – who won separate defamation cases against Mr Jones last week after their case was heard by a jury to determine damages.

On December 14, 2012, 20 children and six adults were shot dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut after a gunman opened fire in one of the worst school shootings in American history.

advertisement

Mr Jones, who is the founder of the right-wing website Infowars in Texas, claimed on his radio show and website that the program was “completely fake with actors,” “synthetic” and “massive hoax” by supporters of gun control and mainstreaming. Was. Media.

He faces several legal cases by several parents of the victims. While he acknowledged the shooting in court documents, he said he had a right to be wrong under the First Amendment.

- Advertisement -

After the default decision last week, Mr Jones and his lawyer Nick Pattis said In a statement that “the First Amendment was crucified.”

Ruling in favor of Mr. Heslin, Travis County District Court Judge Maya Guerra Gamble wrote: “In reaching this decision, this court has considered the lesser remedies … and determined that they are in the light of history.” will be insufficient [Jones’] conduct in this court. ”

she added: “[A]A growing series of judicial warnings, monetary penalties, and non-settlement sanctions have been ineffective in preventing abuse.”

According to bill ogden, one of the attorneys representing the parents in separate cases against Mr Jones in Texas, Tuesday’s ruling marks a major step to bring families “closer to closing out this horrific experience.”

“We look forward to completing the search for damages caused by Alex Jones and InfoWars’ five-year campaign to spread misinformation,” Mr. Ogden said.

The defamation cases in Texas are separate from two defamation lawsuits filed by eight families of children killed in the Sandy Hook massacre against Mr Jones and InfoWars in Connecticut Superior Court. Judge Barbara Bellis also threatened to issue a default order against Jones if he did not comply with the search orders that were to replace pre-trial documents.

Mr Jones has lost several defamation cases related to the shooting. In 2019, he was asked Pay $100,000 (£76,000) to the parents of a 6-year-old who died in the shooting. He has also been banned from Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for hate speech and abusive behavior.

he was too charged up Last month with US prosecutors illegally breaking the US Capitol grounds during the January 6 riots by supporters of then-President Donald Trump.

.

Credit: www.independent.co.uk /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories