Thousands of Sudanese protested in the streets of Khartoum and other cities on Thursday, keeping up pressure on military leaders after a deal to bring back a civilian prime minister ousted in a coup a month ago continued.
Major political parties and Sudan’s powerful protest movement on Sunday opposed Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok’s decision to sign the deal with the military, some calling it a betrayal or saying it provided political cover for the takeover. .
“Revolution is people’s revolution. Army back in barracks!” Protesters shout slogans in Al Dame, a working-class district in Khartoum. He demanded justice for those killed in the earlier demonstrations.
Protesters also blocked a main road in the capital’s Safa area. Carrying the Sudanese flag, he said, “Burhan you will not rule. Down with the military regime,” referring to Sudan’s military leader Abdel-Fatah Burhan.
Live streams on social media showed protests in cities including Port Sudan, Kasala, Wad Madani and El Jinina in West Darfur.
Separately, the United Nations said reports indicated that at least 43 people have been killed in inter-sectarian violence at Jebel Moon in west Darfur since November 17, with 46 villages burned and looted.
“We are deeply concerned by reports of rape of women and girls, as well as reports of 20 missing children,” the UN mission for Sudan said. The government and armed groups signed a peace deal last year to protect civilians.
Last month the coup raised questions over the future of the deal and efforts to end decades of internal conflict in Sudan.
The Citizens Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) Coalition, which had been sharing power with the military before the takeover, in a statement on Thursday blamed the military for allowing the security situation in Darfur to deteriorate.
While Hamdok’s reinstatement was a concession by military leader Burhan, major political parties and civilian groups maintain that the military should play no role in politics.
Under Sunday’s deal, Hamdok will lead a government of technocrats and share power with the military during the political transition lasting until 2023.
It builds on an earlier deal between military and civilian political forces after the overthrow of Omar al-Bashir in 2019, when they agreed to share power until elections. The coup sank that partnership, and the military had since worked to consolidate its position by hiring and transferring employees to senior state jobs.
On Thursday, the Cabinet Secretariat issued a decision to cancel the transfers of all employees in the government with effect from October 25 and reserve the right of the cabinet to make transfers in future.
The FFC and its former ministers have rejected the agreement reached by Hamdok, citing the violent crackdown on anti-military protests over the past month. Hamdok said the Sudanese authorities were committed to democracy and free expression.