Arlington, Texas – A suspect is in custody for a school shooting that injured four people Wednesday morning at Timberview High School in Arlington.
Arlington Police confirmed that the school shooting began as a fight between a student and another man at around 9:15 a.m. A student drew a weapon.
Three people were taken to the hospital, two were shot. Among them, the condition of a 15-year-old male is critical, a 25-year-old male is in good condition and a teenage girl is in a stable condition, who will be discharged soon.
A pregnant teacher was also injured in the fall, but she was treated on the spot and not admitted to the hospital, police said.
Suspect in Texas school shooting
The gunman, identified as 18-year-old Timothy George Simpkins, was taken into custody just before 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Arlington police said he was arrested without incident and would be charged with felony gunshots.
Simpkins reportedly ran away from school in a 2018 Silver Dodge Charger with a Texas license plate PFY6260 after the shooting.
Several agencies including the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the US Marshals were looking for him and investigating the matter.
Kevin Colby, assistant chief of the Arlington Police Department, said: “I’m pretty sure the shooter isn’t on campus. I’m pretty sure there was only one shooter at this school.” “Our hearts go out to the injured and all the students who went through the traumatic incident at this school.”
“As a law enforcement officer and then as a parent with a student at Arlington ISD, this is the scariest moment for you when not only do you do this for your job but when you have a wife who is a There are teachers and many kids. Go to school in the district,” said Jeff Boschek with the ATF Dallas Field Division. “As soon as we get this information on the firearm, we’re going to track it down. We’re going to find out where this guy got it. Our agents won’t sleep. We’re going to find out where he got it.” Found. Weapons in their hands for coming to this school to perpetuate this tragedy today. To all the victims’ families, you are in our thoughts and our prayers.”
What we know about the Timberview High School shooting
- Police said Timothy George Simpkins, an 18-year-old student at Timberview High School, was in a fight with another student and made a weapon.
- Four people were injured and three were hospitalised. Two were taken for surgery because of bullet injuries.
- The condition of a 15-year-old man is critical. The condition of another teenager and a 25-year-old male is fine.
- A pregnant teacher fell and was injured. He is alright.
- There were already two Mansfield ISD officers on campus and they were able to respond quickly.
- The school was approved and the district is working to reunite students with their parents at the Mansfield Performing Arts Center.
- The ATF is investigating how and where Simpkins got the gun.
- He was arrested on Wednesday afternoon after a state-wide search.
- Simpkins will be charged with aggravated assault with a gun.
Students and parents fear the most
The Mansfield Independent School District said the campus was placed on lockdown during the active shooter incident. All students and staff were locked in their classrooms and offices and no visitors were allowed into the campus.
Arlington Police said it was working with other neighboring law enforcement agencies to systematically search and evacuate the school.
Once approved, students will be taken to the Mansfield Performing Arts Center to be reunited with their parents.
“I have just returned from work. I was trying to relax when I got this message from my daughter,” said Akhere Isenalumhe. “We’re all confused. We don’t know what’s going on. It’s so close to home. We never thought something like this would happen in our backyard.”
The school is located in downtown Arlington but in the Mansfield School District.
“I honestly thought the worst. You see in the news, there’s all these shootings going on in other schools, other states, and you never imagine, or you can’t imagine, something that’s happening, that other The parents are feeling.” Another parent said.