Walmart has said it is “deeply concerned” because an aromatherapy spray sold was linked to two deaths from a rare antibacterial infection.
In an announcement on Friday, consumer product safety commission (CPSC) said Walmart was recalling aromatherapy sprays from its US stores after a potentially deadly bacteria called Burkholderia pseudomallei was found.
The CPSC said the bacteria was found in the aromatherapy spray bottle of one in two people who died from melioidosis, “a condition that is difficult to diagnose and can be fatal”.
The CSPC said all four people who became ill with melioidosis had the spray at home, though it’s not clear whether the aromatherapy product was at fault.
The spray, “Better Home and Garden Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstone,” was one of five fragrances that are also being recalled by Walmart.
More than 4,000 bottles are being recalled, and anyone who has the spray at home is being asked to return it to Walmart, which said it was “deeply concerned” by the findings.
“We took immediate action after federal agencies alerted us Wednesday about concerns with aromatherapy room sprays manufactured by Flora Classic Inc. and sold under the Better Homes & Gardens brand,” Walmart said in a statement. ”
It was believed to be sold at 55 stores, and cases of melioidosis were in Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas.
Investigators at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were alerted to the rare disease after four cases in as many months, with none of the four people traveling abroad.
After failing to find the bacteria in water sources around homes, the CDC turned to products imported from overseas when a spray found Burkholderia pseudomallei.
According to ABC NewsThe bacteria are commonly found in waters contained in Southeast Asia or northern Australia and those who get sick often travel abroad.
Granthshala Walmart has been contacted for comment.
Credit: www.independent.co.uk /