Two Houston paramedics have been suspended for seven days after an investigation into the resuscitation of a teenage boy failed to meet “standards and expectations,” officials confirmed to Granthshala News.

Stacey Williams dialed 911 on January 26 to look for a catheter for her 14-year-old grandson, Jackah, a survivor of shaken baby syndrome, who was given two doses of trazodone and slept longer than expected. Williams became concerned after Jaka hadn’t urinated all day.

The boy’s lips were turning white and when Williams applied pressure to his nails, the color was not coming back, she told Granthshala News. She was not worried because the baby’s body temperature and heart rate are usually low.

In an emailed statement to Granthshala News, Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pea said: “Most of our employees serve our community with care, respect, and distinction. I can’t believe our appreciation for our employees and their work.” We have high standards and expectations are met in this particular case, and when this happens, we will hold ourselves accountable. At the conclusion of the investigation, I found reason to remain on the rule violation, which resulted in a 7-day suspension without pay. ”

5-year-old Georgia boy dies of COVID-19 despite having no underlying health condition

The case, which is believed to be a cardiac arrest, includes two other investigations: Houston’s Office of Inspector General “found insufficient evidence” for a complaint of discrimination based on race and disability, according to documents shared with Granthshala News. One Pena said that each employee, led by the state health services department, is under investigation.

According to Williams, two paramedics from the Houston Fire Department answered a call in January at a hotel where the family was staying.

“heavy set [paramedic] Took Jaka’s wrist, and he said, ‘Oh yes ma’am he’s gone,’ and I said, ‘What?’ ‘Yes ma’am. He doesn’t have a pulse, he’s gone,'” Williams recalled. Medical records show that the patient was cold to the touch and was not breathing.

Williams reportedly urged paramedics to act after which they installed a heart monitor to check the boy’s pulse, but again declared the boy dead, she said.

Williams said she became depressed, and Zaka was taken to the hospital when a paramedic offered to do CPR.

Click here for full coronavirus coverage

“When I passed by [the paramedic], he put his hand on his hip and said, ‘Ma’am, I will be honest with you, it will be an act of God.’ I said, ‘Well, I believe in that, so do something,'” Williams said.

Zaka began vomiting through his nose, and when Williams prompted the paramedics for a suction machine, another paramedic appeared on the scene and took action by initiating CPR on the boy, Williams said.

Zaka was eventually taken to Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital, where he went on to stay in the hospital for 31 days, according to Williams, claiming that the boy’s tonsils partially collapsed due to insufficient oxygen supply to the brain, Potentially additional brain damage occurred.

After Jacka is admitted to the hospital, the staff reportedly informs Williams that the baby’s organs are closing in and he is dying.

“They put me in bed with him to say goodbye, and I lay on that bed and I looked at my baby and I said to my husband, ‘Get me out of this bed. I’m not doing this and I I don’t want to leave this hospital without my baby, so do what you have to do,'” Williams said.

The world is ‘moving on’ from the end of the COVID-19 pandemic: Who officials

Her family told Fox News that 14-year-old Jacka Jefferson had to stay in hospital for 31 days after the incident in January.

A surgery was planned for June to treat the tonsils, but because of all the complications and recent cardiac arrest, the procedure was canceled, Williams said.

Zakah was weaned off the ventilator, but a feeding tube resulted in significant weight gain, and the family was left investing in medical equipment to move and lift Zakah, according to Williams, who said that Zakah was “the same Not a child.”

Get the Granthshala News App

“He’s gone through a lot, so I fight for him because he deserves life, he deserves the world, he’s never been given a chance,” Williams said.

Houston Fire Chief, Pea, intends to discuss the incident personally with Williams in the coming days, now that the administrative process is complete, he said.

A representative for Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital did not immediately respond to Granthshala News’ request for comment.