Tyson Fury insisted that Deontay Wilder was just trying to save face in his epic stare – which lasted five minutes.
WBC King is set to renew his rivalry with The American in the Las Vegas trilogy fight on July 24.
Fury and Wilder, 32 and 35 respectively, went head to head at a pre-fight press conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday and took part in an intense face-to-face.
Wilder broke Stardown, an act that prompted Fury to declare: “He didn’t want to be there.
“It was a psychic thing that he was trying, but he needed someone to save him. Because he didn’t want to be there.
“He stood uneasy, looking at me. I was still there.”
During the presser, Wilder did not answer a single question, giving up talking to his new head coach, Malik Scott.
When asked his thoughts on Wilder’s silence, Fury said: “Because he’s like home. How’s that going to be?”
Casino Sign Up Offer: Receive £10 FREE BONUS WITHOUT ANY DEPOSIT
The Gypsy King stopped Wilder in the seventh round of a Las Vegas rematch last February, which saw him complete a story comeback from the depths of depression and addiction.
And he believes this brutal defeat has had a profound ’emotional and physical impact’ on The Bronze Bomber.
During presser, he said of Wilder’s silence: “It shows how weak of a psychic he is.
“It shows how emotional and physical the beating of a previous fight has had an emotional and physical impact on their lives.
“I was worried about Deontay Wilder for a long time after the defeat given to him.
“Obviously he’s doing his little thing with his earphones and he doesn’t want to answer any questions, it’s up to him. I’m here to promote a fight and talk to the press – Joe I always do
“So if Deontay Wilder doesn’t want to commit to this press conference, I’ll take her part.
“I’ll play a double character if you want?
“I’m pretty good at this role-playing stuff so I’ll be both Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury and we’ll play a little game.”
Fury’s trilogy fight with Wilder — which was ordered by a judge after months of mediation — ended an undisputed heavyweight title fight with unified winner Anthony Joshua.
But veteran promoter Bob Arum has blamed Eddie Hearn for the fallout of the fight, saying: “It’s close but the cigar isn’t.
“The problem was that Eddie Hearn was messing with the deal he was trying to make with the Saudis.
“And it went on for months and months and months because instead of just doing a site deal, you know, ‘Give us some money and we’ll bring the fight,’ he tried to sell all those rights, all the television rights.
“And they are not fools. They had to do the due diligence, they have to check what the division is [was going to be].
“Remember, they didn’t know the cable companies got a big chunk of it. They didn’t know anything.
“So they had to learn it back and forth and then it was Ramadan and we went nowhere – nowhere.
“And in the meantime, the mediation was going on and the judge decided the case for them.
“I don’t think it was right, but the judge decided. But in my opinion, if the fight had been signed, he wouldn’t have appointed Tyson to fight Joshua.
“But it was not signed.”