- Advertisement -

The United Nations and the White House have joined the growing demand for reassurance and proof that missing Chinese tennis champion Peng Shuai is safe.

Peng, 35, wrote a post on China’s social media platform Weibo alleging that he was sexually abused at the hands of former Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli. Peng claimed that 75-year-old Zhang forced her to have sex three years ago, despite repeated refusals after a round of tennis.

advertisement

The post was quickly deleted and Peng has since disappeared from social media and public view. Tennis players and officials, led by the Women’s Tennis Federation CEO Steve Simon, are calling for a full investigation of Peng’s claims as well as assurances of her safety and well-being.

- Advertisement -

UN and White House officials have joined growing calls for clear evidence of Peng’s security, after China’s state-run TV outlet CGTN last week posted an email claiming Peng had sent Simon, Joe Simon said that only raised concerns and doubts about Peng’s safety.

“It will be important to have proof of his whereabouts and well-being,” UN human rights spokeswoman Liz Throsel said. told reporters Friday. “We would urge that his allegations of sexual harassment be investigated in full transparency.”

Peng Shui: Tennis Star, Politicians Call For Boycott, Chinese Tennis Champion Not Left

“It is really important to ensure accountability and justice for the victims, the people who have suffered horrific trauma,” he said.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki echoed Thresel’s sentiment during Friday’s press briefing, saying, “We are deeply concerned by reports that appear to be Peng Shuai’s disappearance.”

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki speaks to reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on Friday, November 19, 2021 in Washington.

“We will join the call for PRC officials to provide independent, verifiable evidence of his whereabouts and that he is safe,” Saki told reporters. “I certainly can’t give more details about the details of the case or where she may be, but … any report of sexual harassment needs to be investigated.”

Saki noted Beijing’s “zero tolerance for criticism” and “a record of silencing those who spoke out”, which the White House “will continue to condemn.”

Chinese state media label Sen. Tom Cotton ‘political nonsense’ on calls for Olympic boycott

Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman tweeted: “We are deeply concerned by reports that tennis player Peng Shuai appears to be missing, and we join the call for the PRC to provide independent, verifiable evidence of her whereabouts. Women everywhere are reporting sexual harassment. deserves to be taken seriously and investigated.”

Biden recently told reporters that he was considering a “diplomatic boycott” of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing because of a number of issues between the US and China, including China’s treatment of ethnic minorities. In such a move, the US would not send an official government delegation to the Olympics, but athletes would still compete.

Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian.

Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Ten. told Granthshala News that Biden needed to do more to address Peng’s position.

China’s high-profile disappearances before Peng Shui include Jack Ma, actress Fan Bingbing

“In light of the disappearance of tennis star Peng Shuai, it has become increasingly clear that the safety of Team USA athletes at the 2022 Beijing Olympics cannot be guaranteed,” Blackburn said. “That’s why I’m calling on the United States Olympic Committee to refrain from sending American athletes to the 2022 Olympics.”

Despite mounting international pressure and the WTA’s threat to withdraw the tournament from China unless the situation is resolved satisfactorily, Beijing says it is “ignorant” of Peng’s situation.

Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters on Friday that the matter was “not a diplomatic question, and I am not aware of the situation” – a stance he has maintained whenever a reporter asks about Peng.