Virginia man killed, 2 others rescued while canyoneering at Utah’s Zion National Park

- Advertisement -

Officials say a Virginia man died and two others were rescued while canyoning over the weekend in Utah’s Zion National Park.

- Advertisement -

The park’s technical search and rescue team responded to an emergency call at the exit of Heaps Canyon on Sunday morning and found the man suspended from a rope about 260 feet above the Upper Emerald Pool and others stranded on a nearby reef were, said the park a News release,

According to officials, the victim, identified as 31-year-old Andrew Arvig of Chesapeake, Virginia, was thrown to the ground and later pronounced dead by a doctor.


Park officials said the group began their journey into Heaps Canyon on Saturday morning, but they had difficulty navigating the last few rappellings in the canyon.

Arwig was the first to exit Heaps Canyon, but he left behind a small cliff edge where he needed to land and reattach his rope to land. According to the news release, he was unable to climb the perch 20 feet behind.

- Advertisement -

Two ferries stranded on perch used a cellphone to contact Washington County dispatchers. Rescuers helped him land safely.

Website canyoneering usa Heaps as an uphill journey filled with technical difficulties.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Department and the National Park Service are still investigating the cause of Arwig’s death.

“We at Zion National Park extend our sympathies to the Arwig family for their tragic loss,” Superintendent Jeff Bradybag said.

More than 30 rescuers were involved in the operation, including a technical rescue team, a helicopter dispatched from Grand Canyon National Park, and a Life Flight helicopter and crew from St. George, Utah.

It has been the busiest year on record for search and rescue teams at the vast park. Normally there are about 110 major search and rescue missions, but as of October more than 160 had been reported. Salt Lake Tribune informed of.

Last year, a 38-year-old California woman went missing in the park and was traced about two weeks later. Holly Suzanne Courtier’s daughter said in a statement at the time that her mother injured her head on a tree and as a result she was too weak and wandered to ask for help and was “without food” for 12 days.

Credit: /

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories