Waitress, 20, reveals she ‘thought she would die’ after her face swelled up and she was left in ‘excruciating pain’ and unable to breathe while suffering extreme allergic reaction to hair dye

- Advertisement -


  • Jordan Blignot, 20, from South Africa suffered an extreme allergic reaction to the dye
  • began to suffer from a bright red itchy swelling on her scalp while dying gray hair
  • Her whole face was swollen and she was struggling to breathe, was on her way to the hospital
  • She reveals she thought she would die during ‘traumatic’ incident

- Advertisement -

A woman has shared how she feared she would die after suffering an allergic reaction to hair dye.

20-year-old Jordan Blignot, a South African waitress, was left in ‘excruciating’ pain after a trip to the hairdresser went horribly wrong in November 2021.

advertisement

After transitioning from blonde to brown, within four hours, Jordan began to notice a bright red, itchy swelling on his scalp.

Soon after, her entire face swelled and her chest tight as she was unable to drink, eat, and struggle to breathe – as the young woman was rushed to the hospital.

- Advertisement -

“I honestly thought I might die, which made me anxious and emotionally stressed and upset because I thought it might be my last day,” Jordan said.

Images during an allergic reaction

Jordan Blignot, 20, a waitress from South Africa, shares how she feared she would die after suffering an allergic reaction to hair dye (left, before her allergic reaction, and right, in hospital while living)

After transitioning from blonde to brown, within four hours, Jordan began to notice a bright red, itchy swelling on his scalp.

After transitioning from blonde to brown, within four hours, Jordan began to notice a bright red, itchy swelling on his scalp.

Jordan said: ‘During the real hair appointment, I felt relaxed and it was a relaxed atmosphere.

‘they [staff] Everyone was very nice to me.

‘I’ve had blonde highlights a couple of times before but never responded other than with an itchy scalp, so it was a big shock to see my hair darkening especially during my hair darkening treatment, I didn’t have any No itching, no pain or discomfort was felt.

Though thought hours later, his face began to swell, Jordan explained: ‘Everyone was very worried about me and shed a few tears.

Jordan said that during the actual hair appointment, she

Jordan said that during the actual hair appointment, she “felt relaxed and it was a calming environment” (pictured before the allergic reaction)

The 20-year-old waitress said she often dyed her hair different colors (pictured left and right) without having an allergic reaction

The 20-year-old waitress said she often dyed her hair different colors (pictured left and right) without having an allergic reaction

The 20-year-old waitress said she often dyed her hair different colors (pictured left and right) without having an allergic reaction

‘My sisters and I are really close and they are young, so thinking I was about to die, I was very disappointed to know if I was going to see them grow up and be there for them for the rest of my life.

‘I was physically not able to walk, lie down, sit, I couldn’t do anything.

‘The feeling and being so close to dying left a terrible emotional state on me. And I don’t want anyone to go through the phase I have gone through.

While in the hospital, Jordan was put on several drips and antibiotics to help ease the unbearable pain.

The 20-year-old said it was a 'huge blow' to suffer an allergic reaction while dyeing her hair black

The 20-year-old said it was a ‘huge blow’ to suffer an allergic reaction while dyeing her hair black

He was also placed on a heart monitor and given oxygen to help him breathe.

The swelling eventually became so severe that she could not fit into her clothes.

Jordan said: ‘I was taken to the ER and the code was red, I thought my dad had to help me walk until I went to bed.

‘They did several blood tests and I was given lots of drips, antibiotics, heavy pain medicines and cortisone.

Jordan was taken to the hospital, where she was put on multiple drips and antibiotics to help ease the unbearable pain (pictured, on her way to the hospital)

Jordan was taken to the hospital, where she was put on multiple drips and antibiotics to help ease the unbearable pain (pictured, on her way to the hospital)

However, when she arrived at the hospital, she was taken to the ER and was code red because she felt 'very faint' (pictured left, before the allergic reaction, and right, after).

However, when she arrived at the hospital, she was taken to the ER and was code red because she felt ‘very faint’ (pictured left, before the allergic reaction, and right, after).

‘Nothing helped with the pain I was in.

‘While walking through the hospital I felt very embarrassed because everyone was just staring at me and my face was in tears.’

Jordan stayed at Mediclinic Morningside Hospital for more than a week while being closely monitored by staff.

However, it took 14 days for the swelling – which had since spread throughout her body – to go down completely.

The gravity of the attack came as a major blow to Jordan as he had previously dyed his hair without any problems.

Jordan stayed at Mediclinic Morningside Hospital for more than a week while being closely monitored by staff

Jordan stayed at Mediclinic Morningside Hospital for more than a week while being closely monitored by staff

She did not reach the salon after the incident, as she just wanted to leave the exam behind.

She said: ‘I didn’t talk to them after the reaction because I knew I had sensitive skin, but I didn’t think I’d have an anaphylactic attack and be blown away.

‘I went through so much trauma during the reaction and the hospital stay that I just wanted to leave it behind me and move on from the situation.’

While she says the incident was extremely traumatic, Jordan can now look back and laugh at what happened.

While she says the incident was extremely traumatic, Jordan is now able to look back and laugh at what happened.

While she says the incident was extremely traumatic, Jordan is now able to look back and laugh at what happened.

She continued: ‘Looking at all the pictures made me laugh because of how ridiculous I looked.

‘And every time I’m sad I go back and look at my pictures to make me smile.

‘For everyone else, please always do a test patch before getting any dye on your scalp if you have sensitive skin, or in general.

‘I am thankful for my family and friends who texted me and called me every day and checked up on me and I was as worried as I was.

‘I am also very grateful to the hospital staff who basically saved my life.

‘Without them, I wouldn’t be here.’

Credit: www.dailymail.co.uk /

- Advertisement -

Recent Articles

Related Stories