“Gaslight, gatekeeper, girlboss” is the popular meme you may have seen floating around the internet for a while. Knowyourmeme.com explains the origin of the meme 2021 Tumblr . comes from The post which was making fun of “Live, Laugh, Love”. The meme has expanded to commercial goods, including a . also includes viral tapestry Featuring singer Taylor Swift, Lorde and Phoebe Bridgers. Wellandgood.com says the term gaslighting has been used in the psychology world for years, but the term gained traction around 2018. The term is misused and some people may not know when gaslighting is happening, so what exactly is it?
What is gaslighting?
According to the Newport Institute, Gaslighting is a form of manipulation Where the manipulator tries to make his victim believe that what is happening to them is not actually happening and that their reality is untrue.
Newport Institute Provides some examples of what gaslighting is,
- Lying or denying something and refusing to admit a lie even when evidence is shown
- Emphasizing that an event or behavior you have never observed and that you are remembering it wrong
- spreading rumors and gossip about you, or telling you that other people are gossiping about you
- Changing subject or refusing to listen when confronted about lies or other gaslighting behavior
- Telling You You’re Overreacting When You Call Them
- More examples from the Newport Institute
Dangerous language:‘You are so mature for your age’ is not always a compliment. Sometimes it is caused by trauma.
just curious:We are here to answer life’s everyday question
Where did the term gaslighting come from?
The Newport Institute says the word gaslighting originated from 1938 play “Angel Street”Alfred Hitchcock eventually turned the play into 1944 film “Gaslight”The story follows a man convincing his wife that she is going crazy so that he can steal from her. When he turns on the lights in the attic to see his wife’s jewelry, the gas light below begins to dim He tells his wife that it is all in his imagination, not dimming the lights for her to believe.
Symptoms of gaslighting
verywellmind.com says There are many signs of gaslighting Including, but not limited to:
- You doubt your feelings of reality
- You question your judgment and assumptions
- you feel insecure and insecure
- you feel lonely and powerless
- Makes you wonder if you are who they say you are
- You are disappointed in yourself and who you have become
- you feel confused
- you worry that you are too sensitive
- you have a sense of impending doom
- you spend too much time apologizing
- you feel inadequate
- you second guess yourself
- You believe that others are disappointed in you
- you wonder what’s wrong with you
- You struggle to make decisions because you trust yourself
Mental Health Support:What mental health workers are saying about the 988 suicide hotline
healthy mind:5 ways to help ease the youth mental health epidemic
How to Address and Respond to Gaslighting
Gaslighting can be difficult to respond to, but Healthline offers eight ways to respond properly,
- Make Sure It’s Really Gaslighting
- take some space from the situation
- gather evidence
- talk about behavior
- Be confident in your version of events
- focus on self-care
- include others
- seek professional help