Will my husband’s state pension stop now he is moving to a nursing home? Steve Webb replies 

- Advertisement -

I get the reduced married woman’s pension. My husband is about to move to a private nursing home. Will his state pension stop or will I still get his pension?

- Advertisement -

We have been married for 53 years and I have reduced the contribution of National Insurance Married Woman, so my own pension is very less. I would appreciate your advice.

Scroll down to find out How to Ask Steve Yours pension question


Retirement Finance: Will my husband still get his state pension now that he is moving to a nursing home?

- Advertisement -

Steve Webb replies: Your husband needs to move to a nursing home, I am sure this will be a difficult time for the family, so I hope I can explain how you will stand financially.

If we start with the state pension, then neither your husband’s state pension nor your status will change when you move to a nursing home.

He continues to receive his pension (which he can use to pay for his care) and you continue to receive your pension, just like before.

However, you should check that you are on the correct rate of state pension even though you have gone to your husband’s care home.

If your spouse has a full basic state pension, which is currently £137.60 per week, you must receive a pension of at least £82.45 per week.

If you are getting less than this you should call pension service Ask to see if you deserve the extra, and backdate it for at least a year.

Steve Webb: How to Ask Former Pensions Minister Questions About Your Retirement Savings Check Out the Box Below

Steve Webb: How to Ask Former Pensions Minister Questions About Your Retirement Savings Check Out the Box Below

Obviously, it will be very difficult for you to manage only on your state pension, but the good news is that you are likely to be able to claim pension credits to increase your income.

Once your spouse moves into a care home permanently, you will be assessed based on your income as if you were a single person.

For an individual, the prime rate of pension credit is £177.10 per week, so you should receive a top-up if your state pension and other income is below this level.

You can claim pension credit online via the gov.uk website or by telephone on 0800 99 1234.

One of the benefits of receiving a pension credit is that it is a ‘passport’ for other assistance.

As someone on a pension credit you can apply to your local authority which will cover all or most of your council tax (and you should also let them know that your spouse has moved out as this will in any case reduce your council tax the bill will be reduced).

If you are renting you must also get housing benefits to cover your rent.

People on pension credit usually automatically qualify for a ‘warm home discount’ plan, which pays off your electricity bills once a year, plus you get paid through a cold weather payment plan. You’ll get paid extra if it’s below freezing for seven days in yours. Area.

You should also qualify for a free TV license if you are 75 years of age or older.

With regard to your spouse’s situation, there are a few things to note that if he is ‘self-financing’ in the care home he can apply for (or continue to receive) attendance allowance to help with the costs of care Is).

And, as long as you continue to live in the family home, the value of your home will be ignored if there is an assessment of your spouse’s ability to pay your care home bills during or after your stay. .

I hope this is helpful and wish you and your husband good health in this next phase of life.

Ask Steve Webb Pension Questions

Former Pensions Minister Steve Webb is This Is Money’s Agony Uncle.

He’s ready to answer your questions, whether you’re still saving, in the process of stopping work, or messing with your finances in retirement.

Steve left the Department of Work and Pensions after the May 2015 election. He is now a partner in the actuary and consulting firm Lane Clark & ​​Peacock.

If you have any questions to ask Steve about his pension, please email him at [email protected]

Steve will do his best to respond to your message in an upcoming column, but he won’t be able to reply to all or communicate privately with readers. Nothing in their answers is regulated financial advice. Published questions are sometimes edited for brevity or other reasons.

Please include a day’s contact number with your message – this will be kept confidential and will not be used for marketing purposes.

If Steve is unable to answer your question, you can also contact the Pension Advisory Service, a government-backed organization that provides free help to the public. TPAs can be found Here And its number is 0800 011 3797.

SteveReceives a number of questions about E State Pension Forecast and COPE – Contracted Out Pension Equivalent. If you’re writing to Steve on this topic, he answers a specific reader question. Here. This includes several of Steve’s earlier columns about the state pension forecast and contract, which may be helpful.


- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories