York Regional Police officer, aged 38, dead after head-on crash in Markham

- Advertisement -

A York regional police officer on his way to work on Wednesday morning died in a head-on accident in Markham.

- Advertisement -

York Police said emergency workers were called to the area of ​​Major Mackenzie Drive East and Warden Avenue at around 6 a.m. to report a two-vehicle collision.

When officers arrived, they learned that a driver had died, police said.


Police did not initially release details about the victim or anyone else injured in the accident, but Granthshala News learned that the man killed was a York regional police officer who was on his way to work.

In a statement released later Wednesday morning, police confirmed that 38-year-old Const. Travis Gillespie died on the spot in the accident.

Story continues below ad
- Advertisement -

The statement said Gillespie was driving a white Honda and was involved in a collision with a Porsche Cayenne.

The 23-year-old Markham man, the driver of the Porsche, was taken to hospital. cast. Maniva Armstrong said she had minor injuries.

The statement said Gillespie was sworn in as a constable on April 29, 2020. Before joining the York Regional Police, he worked as a constable for Metrolinux/Go Transit and volunteered with Community Living and Primal MMA Academy.

“He is survived by his parents, loved ones and associates,” police said.

“To ensure that members of the York Regional Police are not further hurt by this incident, the Peel Regional Police Major Coalition Unit will investigate the collision.”

Story continues below ad

York regional police chief Jim McSween said the incident is “devastating news for all members of our organization.”

“I extend my deepest condolences to Travis’s family, friends and colleagues. Losing a member is never easy and it is very difficult to lose Travis unexpectedly,” McSween said.

York Police said they would work with the York Regional Police Association to support Gillespie’s family. Support is also being offered to members of the York Regional Police.

Investigators are asking witnesses of the accident to come forward.

Police have not said what may have caused the accident.

Story continues below ad

Armstrong said no charges were filed and it was not clear whether charges could be made in the future. He said there are many witnesses who have helped in the investigation so far.

This is the second time this week that a Toronto area police officer has been killed.

Toronto Police Constable on Monday. Andrew Hong was shot and killed in Mississauga.

The Toronto Police Service released a statement following Gillespie’s death.

“We extend our deepest condolences to York Regional Police on the loss of Police Constable Travis Gillespie,” it said.

“It has been a disastrous week for our police family. We mourn for our brave officers along with our friends and colleagues, both of whom were taken too soon. ,

Story continues below ad

Premier Doug Ford also posted a message on Twitter.

“I am shocked by the news of the tragic death of another police officer in our province,” he said.

“My thoughts are with the loved ones of Constable Travis Gillespie and the entire @YRP family as they mourn the loss of their dear colleague.”

—With files from Tracy Tong and Katherine Macdonald

Story continues below ad

Source: globalnews.ca

- Advertisement -

Recent Articles

Related Stories